Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pharrell Williams is a Genius



I'm happy.


That's an odd thing for me to say. It's been a trying couple of years, and the past six months have tried to kill me. Not quite, but almost literally.


Every day a new obstacle appears in my path and each one seems comical at this point.


Of course the basement flooded and yet another big bill tacked on to my balance sheet, taking my littlest little man's baby book from me in the process! 


Of course the truck sprang an oil leak! 


Of course there's a client dinner following a day where I got no real work done! 


Of course my kiddo got the flu followed by a double ear infection! 


Of course the nanny quit right before spring break and I can't interview anyone! Ha!


Bring it on!





I've taken to laughing at this point.


A few months ago, upon recommendation. I read "Daring Greatly" by Brene Brown. This is one of the most powerful things I've ever done for myself. Among a plethora of amazing lessons, she reminded me to practice gratitude. See, it's really easy to let the burdens of life take over; being a slave to the difficulties life throws at us, and allowing those things to control your mood and define your outlook is so simple. But, the weight of that choice takes its toll. Instead, be thankful for what is good in your life. Every. Single. Day. Do you have a place to sleep? How about food? A job? People who you care for and/or who care for you? Do you have limbs which work? A brain which functions? How about the fact that you're breathing when so many no longer have that option? Be thankful. 


As for the bad stuff?


Square your shoulders. Take a breath. Smile. Repeat.


Believe it or not, this is actually a great way to be happier. Just make the choice and do it. Yes, it really is that simple. My life is blow after blow, terrible news compounded with more terrible news, and heartache at every turn. So much so that one of my amazing bosses gave me a book this morning entitled  "Be Still, My Soul; Embracing God's Purpose & Provision in Suffering." Seriously.


And yet, I'm happy. Why? Because I choose it.




No comments:

Post a Comment